Religion and American Slavery
Lesson II. African Muslims Enslaved in America
Step 2. Explore these Historical Portraits
Record Your Observations
Choose a portrait to analyze. Write down the number of the portrait you chose.
Prepare for a class discussion by making observations about your chosen portrait. Write your answers on your own paper. Here are some ideas to explore:
- What stands out to you about their clothing?
- Do they look rich or poor?
- What guesses can you make about their place in society?
- Who do you think created the portrait?
- What other observations can you make about the portrait?
Lesson II. Step 2 of 5